Hello everyone!! I am based in Singapore and my intention of setting up this blog is to share pictures of my hobby craft. I'm trained under a very nice 60+ yrs old granny who got her training in Thailand and Hongkong. Her specialty is in making local food and snacks. If you have any constructive comments on how I can make my mini food better, do drop me an email at ng.anna@ymail.com! Enjoy!

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Laksa

Laksa
The origin of the name "laksa" is unclear. One theory[1] traces it back to Hindi/Persian lakhshah, referring to a type of vermicelli, which in turn may be derived from the Sanskrit lakshas (लकशस्) meaning "one hundred thousand" (lakh). It has also been suggested[2] that "laksa" may derive from the Chinese word (Cantonese: [lɐ̀t.sáː]), meaning "spicy sand" due to the ground dried prawns which gives a sandy or gritty texture to the sauce. The last theory[3] is that the name comes from the similar sounding word "dirty" in Hokkien due to its appearance. (Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laksa)

No comments:

Post a Comment